Obituary of Mary Ludlow
Mary May (Martin) Ludlow, 91, of Ilion, New York, passed away February 14, 2019 at St Luke’s Hospital in Utica NY, with her family by her side.
Mary was born November 28, 1927 to William and Ruth Martin. She grew up in the Mohawk Valley and attended Mohawk High School, where she excelled at math and spelling. At age of 20 she married Arthur Hall, of Ilion, and had six children: Rosemary, Arthur (Butch), Lon, Kevin, Diane and Randy. In 1971 her husband was transferred with his job to Minnesota where they lived and worked until her husband’s death in 1976.
Mary returned to her home town of Ilion where she continued to work and raise her family. Then in 1991 she met Louis Ludlow who became her second husband in 1992; enjoying 9 happy years with him until his death in 2001.
Predeceased by her 1st husband Arthur Hall, 2nd husband Louis Ludlow; son Arthur (Butch) Hall; brothers: William, Francis; sisters: Ida Robinson, Louise Martin, Maude Reed, and Alberta Gardner.
Survived by her brothers: Albert (Sue), Robert (Marion), James (Betsy), Richard (Marichu); sister: Lillian (Jim) Murphy; children: Rosemary (William, deceased) Yaw, Lon (Becky) Hall, Kevin (Sharon) Hall, Diane (Michael) Palinski, Randy (Debbie) Hall; 16 grandchildren; 28 great grandchildren; and 4 great-great grandchildren.
Mary – Daughter, Sister, Wife, Mother, Grandmother, Great, Great-great. Mary enjoyed sewing, knitting, crocheting, shopping for fabric, and many other crafts. She made many fabulous clothes and Afghans for family and friends. She also enjoyed baking - she made the best spaghetti sauce, lasagna and apple pie. Mary loved the holidays and her favorite was Christmas.
The family would like to thank Ramona and Grant Gagne and their family and Nora Kornbrust and her family for the friendship and care they have given mom these last several months. It is truly appreciated. The family would like to thank all the wonderful people at St Luke’s for their care and support these last 2 weeks.
A private memorial is being planned.
The Whiter Funeral Company was started in 1893 by H.A. Whiter and was originally located in Forestport, NY. Following a fire in Forestport our family relocated in Ilion, and reopened the funeral home, in the early 1900's.
100 Otsego Street
Ilion, NY 13357
- April 2014 we launched our brand new website